A Guide To Safely Removing Mildew From Your Home When Someone Is Asthmatic, Allergic Or Sensitive To Chemicals

Blog

Although few people enjoy the smell of mildew in their homes and almost everyone would like to get rid of it whenever possible, it is important to understand how harmful it could be to allergic, sensitive, or asthmatic persons. For instance, its presence in your home can prompt headaches and respiratory problems, while also increasing the likelihood of damage to the underlying structure of the building. In addition, the risk of respiratory challenges will often increase for persons who suffer from asthma and similar breathing difficulties. Therefore, if you have recently become aware that mildew has infiltrated your home, it is a good idea to be aware of the following information.

Understanding And Recognizing Mildew 

It is not unusual to think that mold and mildew are the same, since they are both examples of common household fungi. However, the two are different problems and may require different treatments for complete removal. For instance, mold is often more well-known and can result in more significant health problems, including rashes, hives, migraines, and even pneumonia. In comparison, mildew is often associated with the previously mentioned respiratory challenges.

It's usually easy to spot mildew because it will look as if a powder jar spilled over the area. Alternatively, you may notice the mildew due to its downy appearance and its color will vary based on its type and type. In general, you can expect mildew to be white, yellow, brown, or black. If you can see it, the asthma sufferer or allergic person in your home may already be experiencing uncomfortable symptoms.

Killing The Mildew Without Risking Anyone's Health

Once you understand how risky mildew can be and how to spot it, it only makes sense that you need to remove the mildew as soon as possible. However, some asthma sufferers find that the use of certain cleaning agents, like bleach, ammonia, and lye, can trigger asthma flare-ups. In addition, many people have sensitivities or allergies to those agents and can experience unpleasant side effects after being exposed to them, especially if there is repeated exposure. As a result, you should plan to use safer, non-toxic items to clean the mildew.

One option to kill mildew is by pouring or spraying white vinegar over the affected area and allowing it to sit for an hour or two. Give it a final spray while wearing safety gloves and an appropriate mask over your nose and mouth, and drop a bit of baking soda over the dampened area. Scrub at it repeatedly with a clean, dry sponge until the mildew is gone, taking care to rinse and squeeze the sponge periodically. It is important to point out that if the mildew has invaded caulk on windows, insulation or carpeting, it will be almost impossible to remove it entirely. As a result, you should remove the affected area and replace it with non-soluble materials that will be more resistant to mildew in the future if necessary.

In conclusion, mildew is not uncommon in many homes and is often easy to spot. However, it is important to take the necessary steps to remove it as soon as you find it, as it can cause significant health challenges for many people. The information provided above will help you to recognize and safely remove mildew from your home, even when a sensitive, allergic, or asthmatic person is present. 

For professional help with your mildew problems, contact a company that specializes in mildew remediation.

Share

28 October 2016

What Is Your Home's Value After Restoration?

Would you like to restore and repair some areas of your home but first want to know how much your house will be worth when finished? My name is Gloria, and I help restore old homes as a hobby. I have restored more than 100 homes, and I have seen values climb. I can go over each section of a home, common problems that need fixing and how you can get the job done for as little as possible. Then I can tell you how much value it will add to your home's sale price. Restoring your home may be more valuable than you think.